Monday, January 9, 2012

KeMU

We finished up earlier today so I'm writing this before dinner. It's been a good day. We spent the day at Kenya Methodist University (KeMU). It's a beautiful campus with panoramic views of the hills and Mt. Kenya from the campus buildings. We heard about the growth of this Christian university and their commitment to nurturing spiritually-grounded students with hopes that they will go out and transform their country in their various fields. We heard the powerful testimonies of some of the students- one being from Somalia with hopes of going back after he graduates to spread the Gospel. The best part of the day was talking with our guide for the day about Kenyan culture, the wildlife, and what life was like during and after the country gained their independence. I learned more about the violence that is taking place in the northern part of the country and what's behind it all. Kenya is a fast-developing country and with the type of students places like Kenya Methodist are producing, I believe there are good things to continue to come for Kenya. We also visited the farm the campus runs which was very exciting.Andy took my picture hugging a coffee plant :) We also got to see process of producing the coffee beans before they are roasted! So exciting for this coffee-lover :) The hope for the university is to be able to grow all of their own produce, instead of having to buy it all. OOH! This was exciting: the deputy vice-chancellor was showing us around and I made the comment that I wanted to not just run in Kenya, but run with some Kenyans. A little later we saw some students running around the track and he called them over and let us talk to them and let me get my picture taken with them. Had I been wearing running shoes and not chacos, I would have run with them. I'm still holding out for accomplishing that goal before we leave :) Tomorrow, we head out to the country to work on a school. I've enjoyed learning some about Kenya and witnessing the things God is doing through the support of the UMC in the US, the WNCC in particular, and their culture, but I'm ready to work. Tomorrow that begins. For now, I go for run. Blessings to you all.

God's peace,
Katie

3 comments:

  1. Sounds exciting and enriching. Have a great time on tomorrow's work detail. Things are well back in Shelby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, This is Tamara Zrostlik. I'm Wilson Strickhausen's daughter. I got the blog from your church and am passing the info along to my mom who is visiting grandma in Tucson and does not have internet access. Tell Daddy we are all fine and hope he is well. A troop of soldiers were sent over there on sunday. We are hoping my dad is not causing any trouble. :) Give him a big hug from me. Thx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved hearing about your visit to the university. It brought back a lot of great visuals! I hope that you enjoyed your Kenyan run, it is certainly a beautiful country to do that in! Tell Wayne that he has e-mails from me just waiting for him! Give my love to all there, especially that handsome gray-haired preacher guy!

    ReplyDelete