Sunday, January 8, 2012

Only in Africa

FYI: I'm not editing any of my posts. I'm doing this at night right before bed so I'm not going to proofread. Please excuse unconnected thoughts and typos.

Finding myself with not enough time to really reflect like I like to. We finished everything up earlier tonight so I can reflect. Hopefully I'll have deeper thoughts tomorrow. Anyway, today we drove an hour to Maua for the induction of a new synod-bishop. Those of you who think a worship service that goes 15 minutes past twelve is too long.....well, you should thank you pastors they don't keep you there for 5 hours. I'm not kidding. The service was that long. For the most part it was very good. There was lots of music and dancing by various choirs from all over. Things got a bit political and politicians started making speeches, which was disheartening, but we survived. Here's my one deep thought for the day: after the presiding bishop finished the induction of the new synod-bishop (remember, equivalent to a district superintendent), all the clergy that were present (all of them from the area) gathered around him and sang and dance in celebration of this honor and responsibility he has been given. It was quite an emotional site to see. In the States I don't think we are that excited for our colleagues who excel. I don't know that we would ever really celebrate for one of our colleagues in such a way. I fear we spend more time being envious and jealous that we have not be recognized in such a way. Competition has infiltrated in every aspect of our lives and it leaves us unable to celebrate with others. How cool would it be if every clergy from a district went to the induction service of a new D.S. because they genuinely wanted celebrate with their colleague (maybe not with dancing :)! So maybe we don't take away the 5-hour worship service, but perhaps there is something to learn from our brother and sisters in Kenya and their support of one another as colleagues and family in Christ.

Ok, now for something fun. On our drive back to Meru today we got to a section of road that was all forest. I leaned over to Andy and said (half-jokingly), "watch for elephants and gorillas." No joke, 2 minutes later we had to stop the car for a herd of elephants!! It was amazing!! Words can't describe. Only in Africa....

Tomorrow we're visiting Kenya Methodist University. Then Tuesday the real work begins as we will be going to a school in the area to do some building. Everyone continues to be doing well, team bonding is occurring, and relationship-building is happening. It's a great team!

Peace,
Katie 

1 comment:

  1. Good insight my dear. Know you and Andy are having a ball. Why am I sitting here humming The Baby Elephant Walk?
    much love!
    glo

    ReplyDelete